There is still much that is unknown about this virus. However, the prevention steps recommended during cold and flu season are helpful in reducing the risk for infections:
- Wash your hands often using soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after you’ve touched someone who is sick. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid close contact with people who are experiencing symptoms.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands.
- If you have cold and cough symptoms, make sure to cover your coughs and sneezes by using the bend of your arm (elbow) or use disposable tissues and immediately throw them in the trash.
- Stay home if you are ill and contact your healthcare provider.