The 2022 Australian Federal Election
The men and women of the Australian Federal Police work tirelessly to keep the people of Australia safe from harm:
- They build intelligence to disrupt terrorist activity.
- They prevent drug traffickers, both here and abroad, from flooding our streets with life-destroying substances.
- They protect our children from exploitation.
- They protect vital Commonwealth establishments around the nation.
- They work with our international allies in bringing transnational crime groups to justice.
- They infiltrate local gangs to stop them from preying on our communities.
- They work around the clock to shield our high officeholders, including the Prime Minister, Governor-General, senior ministers, and foreign ambassadors.
- They build policing capabilities and strengthen diplomatic ties with our neighbours in the Pacific.
- They do all this and more 24/7.
Traditionally, we have written correspondence to all sides of government to support changes to legislation and other initiatives that benefit AFPA members and the AFP. We will continue to do so, but we are asking for your help and support in relation to Operation Recognition and the 2022 Federal Election.
In order to strengthen the AFP and best equip them in the endless battle against crime, we are asking all candidates to provide a clear position and commitment on each of the above areas of concern. We will then inform the 7,000 AFP employees, their families, and community members who support the work of police about each party’s position on these important issues affecting the AFP community.
“Australian federal police demand parties commit to ‘far-reaching anti-corruption body” (The Guardian Australia)
Morrison Government Response to AFPA survey